Archive for July, 2010


Saturday, July 24th, 2010

So, after a week of uncertainty, late on Friday night two weeks ago I was asked if I could travel to Singapore, to join the project team that I am working with. I had a surprisingly easy conversation with American Express travel, and I was booked to fly to the other side of the world on Sunday.

And now here I am on the otehr side of the world, 7 hours ahead of the UK.

So what’s it like?

Well, the office is pretty much like any other office. There and desks and chairs and computers and phones. I’m far from the window, so there’s no sense of the time of day, or weather. One useful feature of Singapore is that the plugs are the same as home, so there’s no mucking about with adaptors and all that nonsense. And I’m pretty much doing the same work that I’ve been doing, just sitting with the people who care about it.

The weather has been unexpectedly poor. Apparently it is meant to be warm, sunny and humid but instead there’s been a lot of rain, with flooding in places, due to tropical storms.

The hotel is very comfortable, but with a disappointing lack of free wi-fi. Singapore has an excellent public wi-fi network, but it’s only accessible to locals with a Singapore mobile number, which is a bit of an irritation. However, I am coping 😉

Right, that’s all for now. At least I finally posted it. This post was started over a week ago. I’ve been busy y’know.

Hello Again

Saturday, July 17th, 2010

It’s been a while since I’ve been here.

But I’ve been busy!

The start of the summer has become a really busy time since our church moved our two major summer clubs, the one for the primary school children and the one for the teenagers, from the end of the summer to the start. The logic is impeccable – if we do it at the start of the summer, we can use the schools to do some promotion the week before, and try and bring in some new faces.

But the other thing that has increased the workload for me is the success of our puppeting last year. That meant that we had to do it all over again. So not only was I committed to driving down to Craigavon to church every night for 2 weeks, but I was also up and down a lot for a fortnight before, writing schetches for Bella, Bert, Bindi and Buttercup.

On top of all that, work got very busy as well, with some big deadlines looming for a major contract that I am doing some wok for.

So, I got busy and stressed out for a month. But it was worth it – both of our clubs went well, and I would have to admit that I enjoyed them both.

And then, just as I was settling down to relax after all that, something unexpected happened. And that will come in the next post.